The EDM scene has continued to grieve the deaths of two young ravers at Electric Zoo who apparently died after taking what was believed to be molly. In an interesting new development, the New York Post reports the ravers may have taken methylone a.k.a. "bath salts," though they believed it to be molly. Methylone is federally classified Schedule 1 drug. It causes people to do some terrible, deranged things. It was also the cause of a death of a Staten Island 20-year-old back in June:
Known to drug regulators as methylone — and exported in bulk from China — the salts caused the agonizing death of Matthew Rybarczyk, 20, of Staten Island, after a June 15 rave on Governors Island.
“There were bags and bags pumping things into him, and the blood was coming out of his mouth, his nose,” Peggy Rybarczyk remembered yesterday of watching her grandson die slowly in his hospital bed.
Bath salts, which can be swallowed, snorted, injected or dissolved in water, has a similarly euphoric effect as ecstasy — but can also cause psychotic symptoms like agitation, paranoia and hallucinations. The drug is federally banned from sale in stores but is widely available on the Internet.
It has yet to be declared a controlled substance under state law, which has greatly hampered prosecution efforts.
The DEA is speaking out about the dangers of molly since the drug's rampant popularity with a younger generation has made production sketchier and sketchier. Some important pull-quotes from the Post:
“Kids think ‘Molly’ is a pure, safe ecstasy, but it’s not,” said DEA Special Agent Erin Mulvey. “It’s not pure, it’s not safe and it’s not even ecstasy.”
“We’re seeing a proliferation of it,” citywide Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan told The Post. “We urgently need a law that would allow us to prosecute the sale of this deadly substance.”
Think, kids. Is a bag that's a giant question mark worth it?