The slow-mo CGI Coup de grâce:
A money pullquote via people who actually know what the hell they're talk about when it comes to birds of prey, the Black Swamp Bird Observatory on Facebook:
Hello Everyone, There is a video making the rounds on YouTube and social media right now that seemingly shows a “Golden Eagle” swooping down to try and snatch a toddler. We want you to know that the video is a fake. This kind of publicity does so much damage to birds and we hope that if you see the video posted that you will inform people that it is not real. Here's what Kenn Kaufman had to say about the video:
“A golden eagle tries to snatch a baby in Montreal,” and the video goes viral. But it's faked. Golden Eagle is a scarce visitor in the Montreal area, but the bird in the video is not a Golden Eagle, nor anything else that occurs in the wild in North America. This was clearly a setup: using a falconer's bird, and probably a fake toddler for the distant scene. With all the ignorance about nature that's out there already, the last thing we need is this kind of stupid garbage.
And more reasons via Farker Lonestar:
All right. This video was probably an hoax for these reasons.
1. It didnt make the news in Montreal. And this was shot a while ago since we have a few inches of snow on the ground at this point.
2. A 3d animation school in Montreal has a “hoax the internet” exam. Last year they produced this bit: Hoax
3. Eagles arent common in Montreal, they are more common outside of big cities and ive seen big ones at my camp, 400 km away, but not that big. Even the ones that are kept in the zoo, here, arent that big. Certainly, an eagle this size would have been caught on camera before and attracted some attention.
4. Note the lack of interest in the other pedestrians. They should look an probably point at the huge eagle.
5. If an eagle was out trying to eat stuff that big, there is plenty of dogs to go around and certainly people would have talked about that huge eagle eating their dogs while they were walking them.
Basically, this is a huge eagle that would have been seen before and documented. And since there is a 3d animation school that has a “hoax the internet” exam, im calling bullshiat.
Hope this doesn't ruin anyone's day.