We've been hearing murmurs about a "Jersey Shore"-esque knockoff about the Russian population of Brooklyn's Brighton Beach for quite a few years now. Alas, a teaser trailer finally hit the web on Friday afternoon. Clocking in at a super-short 30 seconds, the sneak-peek for Lifetime's upcoming reality show "Russian Dolls" is the definition of a gross game of "just the tip." We want so much more! According to the blog Sheephead Bites, the show focuses on eight local Russian-Americans and their multi-generational families living in Brighton Beach. Back in winter 2010, the show's producer Elina Miller promised, "plenty of vodka, techno music and guys wearing Adidas pants, leather jackets and gold chains, and driving souped-up cars. There will also be a lot of hot, decked-out Russian girls." Hooray! Judging by the trailer, it looks like we're going to get all of that.
Here's a character run-down, via Sheephead Bites:
- Anna (22) – An aspiring model and skillful flirt, Anna recently opened her own modeling school. She craves the spotlight but still lives in a tiny apartment with her parents and meddling grandmother.
- Diana (23) – The goal in life for this princess is to find a man she can marry. Of course, her prince will need to drive a nice car and pay for absolutely everything.
- Anastasia (26) – Graduating college is not in the cards for this Russian darling who seems more interested in going to the gym, tanning, applying makeup and making sure her hair extensions stay in place.
- Eddie (26) – A handsome lady-killer, Eddie is looking to make a name for himself in the world, while juggling the ladies and his busy social calendar.
- Albert (26) – A wheeler-dealer who values his money and social status in Brighton Beach, Albert knows exactly what he wants: to make millions of dollars and bring a nice Russian girl home to his mom.
- Marina (34) – Dripping in furs and diamonds, Marina is all about status. When she isn’t going head-to-head with her spirited mother-in-law, Eva (age 56), Marina runs the popular local club/restaurant Rasputin with her husband Michael and knows everyone in Brighton Beach.
- Renata (47) – Sweet, energetic and whimsical, Renata hosts a popular Russian radio show. She’s always trying to make nice when it comes to her friends and lovable, yet overbearing, husband Boris.
- Sveta (47) – She rules her 30-year marriage with an iron fist, while her husband Sasha runs a local jewelry store.
We have no idea who this is or what's going on here, but we can't wait for the details.
Which spin-off do you think will be better? "Russian Dolls" or "K-Town"?