What is being called the “Untitled Miami Athletes Project” is a dramedy centered around “the lives of retired athletes living in Miami.” Here's what we know so far:
- The executive producers include Stephen Levinson and Mark Wahlberg, and Peter Berg. Levinson and MarkyMarky previously EP'd Entourage and How to Make it in America, and Berg once adapted a book turned movie into television format–a little thing called Friday Night Lights.
- Berg is slated to direct the pilot.
- Dwayne Johnson, who my friend last night was all like “he was actually REALLY good in Pain and Gain,” is attached to star.
- Remember, he played football for The U, so this is a world he knows well
- They are looking to film the pilot in the fall.
- The opportunity for athlete cameos are…huge
Of course, there are a number of things to go down before there's even a chance we actually get to see this up and running. But it's a damn cool idea, and seems both lighthearted and polarizing enough to really stick. Not to mention, the great talent who all have seem to be business homies.
On another note, given Berg's obsession with Taylor Kitsch (in addition to Friday Night Lights Berg cast Tim Riggins for Battleship, and for an upcoming Navy SEAL movie, which incidentally also stars Wahlberg) this is a perfect oppor Riggs could be reunited with his true athlete self.