Over the past couple of years, Jalen Rose has made a name for himself as one of the funniest, most outspoken basketball analysts in the media. (Actually, make that sports in general.) He's an unfiltered storyteller on his Grantland Network podcast, and his pregame analysis on ESPN's coverage is always brutally honest. And, according to a couple of now-deleted Reddit accounts of his Saturday night out in Bloomington, we know now that his on-air personality is not an act.
According to a handful of Indiana students, Rose stayed up swapping stories and partying with 21-year-olds until 5 in the morning on Sunday. He did this, despite an early morning flight he was due to catch for New Orleans, and, I guess, the fact that he's a Michigan alum. The highlights, collected by Lost Lettermen:
- “He seemed fairly confident that MJ was hungover in Game 5 of the ’97 Finals and didn’t actually have the flu”
- On Reggie Miller’s house burning down in 1997: “He is SURE [ex-wife] Marita Miller burned down Reggie’s house”
- “Joked how he couldn’t smoke weed because ‘man I work for Disney!! You don’t think they drug test us?’ ”
- “He kept asking how the hell you work a bong and after getting chirped for it, he goes ‘PLEASE. black people only use pipes if they’re smoking crack’ “
- “He claimed he could hit 17 of 20 3s RIGHT THEN AND THERE, everyone howled and said no way, he just laughed and kept yelling ‘f*** ya’ll f*** ya’ll’ “
- “5am rolls around and he gets asked what time his flight is to leave for New Orleans – ‘oh I dunno….about 2 and a half hours’ “
- On Jamaal Tinsley: ‘The dude drank vodka more often than water…AND I let him live with me! For a MONTH!’ ”
Good for Jalen. He gave a few Indiana bros a story they'll swap as often as they possibly can—and he showed that, even though he just turned 40, he can still hang with college kids.
[H/T: Lost Lettermen]