The Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a higher education think tank about the insane costs of a college education, recently released a list of the colleges with the very worst professors. In order to do so, they mined through millions of professor ratings on RateMyProfessor.com, coming up with a stastical average. Hey, you paying attention? This is the important part. Via:
It's notable that some of the universities that landed on the worst professor list are schools that specialize in science, technology and engineering, which are academically challenging. Students could give professors in the these fields low scores on the easiness category, but these assessments are not used in a professor's overall quality score. (You can see how all the schools ranked by Forbes fared in the instruction category by clicking on the component rankings link on the center's website.)
So the reason many of these schools ended up on such a list isn't nessecarily because the professor is bad, per se, but more because the course work for biological aerospace engineering quantum mechanics is, uh, HARD AS FUCK. That's probably not a bad thing since humanity's hope for a perpetual motion and/or time machine rests in the hands of students at SOME (but obviously not all…) of these schools. Someone has to build a flux capacitor, damnit.
1. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (NY)
2. Michigan Technological University
3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy (CT)
4. Milwaukee School of Engineering
5. New Jersey Institute of Technology
6. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)
7. Widener University (PA)
8. St. Cloud University (MN)
9. Bentley University (MA)
10. Indiana State University
11. Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA)
12. Central Michigan University
13. Minnesota State University, Mankato
14. Pace University (NY)
15. Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ)
16. Seton Hall University (NJ)
17. Westminster College (PA)
18. Howard University (DC)
19. Iowa State University
20. University of Toledo (OH)
21. Truman State University (MO)
22. Illinois State University
23. University of Connecticut
24. Oregon Institute of Technology
25. University of Maryland
Maryland at the #25 spot? Ouch. I blame the Delta Gammas.
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.